Huronia Historical Association
Dedicated to the discovery and preservation of the earliest recorded history of “Old Wendake” in the geographic area now known as “Huronia”.
- Compile the historical record from existing primary and secondary source worksfrom local libraries, museums, universities and private collections.
- Map the historical geography with reference to both events and specific locations andmark sites along with historic trails and indicate events appropriately.
- Research existing sites in an effort to place them in the chronology of history andidentify them by name and date.
- Encourage preservation of significant sacred, historic and cultural sites.
- Encourage and support “Archaeological Master Planning” for the area.
- Enhance the current historical record through education and publications.
- Publish results of findings as they happen in an accessible public format.
- Repatriate significant articles of historical interest to appropriate trustees.
- Identify recipients and repositories in most appropriate geography.
- Create a program plan for ongoing research and development.
- Investigate the formation of an ongoing institution of study.
- Promote entire area as historic site destination and a place of pilgrimage.
- Work with the tourism industry in the development of this resource.
- Develop appropriate funding tools and infrastructure in support of the mandate.
- Identify stake holders for long and short term support.
Current identifiable stakeholders.
- European interests as to an extension to their national histories.
- French interests as to an extension to Quebec history.
- First Nations interests for the preservation of their cultural history and sacred grounds.
- Church interests for the identification of their historic sites and sacred grounds.
- Commercial interests for the history of the development of the Canadian economy.
- Historical interests for the sake of history.
- Educational interests for the expansion of human knowledge and understanding..
- Community interests to better understand the history of where they live.
- Personal interests to better understand who they are.